I’ve had RetrokiT’s Sturmtiger conversion parts on my shopping list for some time, so added it to my letter to Santa!
It turned up this week, delayed slightly by a postal strike, but thats ok, I’ve had my hands pretty full with Star wars models to paint! I’ve been trying to build this inbetween waiting for washes to dry! The original Tiger donor chassis had been built about a year ago while I waited for the conversion kit to come out, so it was quite a quick and easy build.
The thing i really like about Retrokit models is the crisp detail and lack of bubbles in the resin. This went together really quickly with only minor modification to the original hull.
Now I’m waiting for the weekend in the hope of warmer weather so i can go out in garden and spray paint it! I think I’ll use a digital camo pattern again, and mark it up as a Hydra vehicle like my Kingtiger model. Updates as and when it is painted.
can’t wait to get this into battle either…will have to write some special rules for it!
Update!!!! detailing to do but Camo and decals done!
I got a late Christmas present this week from Belgium, the box contained some HVSS suspension units for “Fury” Sherman and a Sturmtiger conversion kit…more on that later!
My little world war toons M4 Sherman “Fury” has had quite a history of make overs, it started out as a standard world war toons kit, then when RetrokiT started making sherman conversion parts i added the M4A3 hull a year later I’ve just added the HVSS suspension units to the kit, pretty pleased with results.
Will try and give this a run out in the next Tank battle we have at the school club.
Another huge battle, Shermans, KV2’s, T34’s against Panzer IIIs, Tigers, King Tigers
I finally managed to make my own set of Hydra Decals to go on my King Tiger Henschel Turret Conversion (Meng Workd War Toons and Retrokit)
Digital Camo stencils by the superb Anarchy Models
No, not that one, a rusted, knocked out Sherman. Even on table top games there can be some attrition, bits get broken from time to time, this Sherman had some of its drive wheels and idlers broken and it was getting difficult to fix them and enable them still to spin round, so we decided to replace the Tank with a new Sherman and use the old broken one as a piece of scenery or objective marker.
I used a heated up drill bit to poke through some shell holes, clearly the Tigers have been busy on this one;)
This is a work in progress, the lighting on this photo hasn’t really picked out the different shades of rust there are at least 5 shades, from dark red through orange and up to yellow and a brown wash!
I’m going to use the salt technique for the next stage, there are plenty of youtube videos of how to do this, but basically you use an atomiser, in this case an old nose spray bottle filled with water to wet the model, then poor over various grades of rock salt, table salt, baking soda, then leave to dry. At this stage you might want to add more salt, or even remove some from various areas. This Model is now drying after being covered in a salt mix and is awaiting the top coat of Olive Drab.
Once this is done all the salt is rubbed off and you are left with a pretty rusty and massively damaged paint job! Once salt is removed I will spray a layer of Model mates rust ink over it then wipe….Photos when we get to that stage!
I have also finished the Retrokit conversion kit For the Sherman Calliope Rocket launcher. This is sure to get an “oh wow” at after school club! This is a stand out upgrade for the standard WWT Sherman kit, its quite eye catching when along side the basic model. I decided to pad out the Hull front with some Blu Tak to weight it down as i thought the Rocket launcher might unbalance the tank a bit, this worked perfectly. I’m thinking about scratch building a rocket or two to add to the launch tubes.
Very impressed with this kit, Domi has done a fantastic job of this. Again all parts nice and crisp no air bubbles. One of the support struts was a little warped, but this was easily rectified after placing briefly in near boiling water to soften it up a bit, then the arm/strut was gently reshaped. You’ll need a hack saw and a file to remove parts from sprue, but it really isn’t a lot of work and the parts are very easy to cut and file through, though be sure to wear a dust mask while doing this. The parts were then super glued in place before painting.
I have just ordered a couple of the new turrets from retrokits so that will be the next job on the work bench!
……..No, Not Game of Thrones……….World War Toon KV2 Russian Front, Winter!
Its first outing on the table proved to be combustable……….The lend lease Sherman lasted a bit longer!
A very nice model, though, looking forward to the T34’s when they arrive in new year to beef up the russian armoured unit.
Now Winter in the Ardennes……………………..
King Tiger with Ambush scheme Camouflage….not much use in the snow!