Not quite a ballistic missile, so I’m hoping the U.N. won’t use sanctions against me, but spent a few hours over weekend making some “Toon” m8 rockets for the Calliope tubes!
They have more in common with the rocket used on the Sturm tiger than an M8 and I didn’t bother with any fins. these are basically just to use as counters really so we can keep track of how many have been fired in the game, and also to fill up the empty launch tubes. I had some 10mm dowel cut offs which i cut down further to 2.5cms, then used some miliput to sculpt the warhead and added paint. Pretty basic but they do the job.
A side effect of the fully loaded launch tubes is that you need to add some blu tak to the hull to weigh it down…..and avoid any hills and uneven terrain on the battlefield……..perhaps it would be wise to glue down the Sherman onto its own base, which i may well do at some point.
No, not that one, a rusted, knocked out Sherman. Even on table top games there can be some attrition, bits get broken from time to time, this Sherman had some of its drive wheels and idlers broken and it was getting difficult to fix them and enable them still to spin round, so we decided to replace the Tank with a new Sherman and use the old broken one as a piece of scenery or objective marker.
I used a heated up drill bit to poke through some shell holes, clearly the Tigers have been busy on this one;)
This is a work in progress, the lighting on this photo hasn’t really picked out the different shades of rust there are at least 5 shades, from dark red through orange and up to yellow and a brown wash!
I’m going to use the salt technique for the next stage, there are plenty of youtube videos of how to do this, but basically you use an atomiser, in this case an old nose spray bottle filled with water to wet the model, then poor over various grades of rock salt, table salt, baking soda, then leave to dry. At this stage you might want to add more salt, or even remove some from various areas. This Model is now drying after being covered in a salt mix and is awaiting the top coat of Olive Drab.
Once this is done all the salt is rubbed off and you are left with a pretty rusty and massively damaged paint job! Once salt is removed I will spray a layer of Model mates rust ink over it then wipe….Photos when we get to that stage!
I have also finished the Retrokit conversion kit For the Sherman Calliope Rocket launcher. This is sure to get an “oh wow” at after school club! This is a stand out upgrade for the standard WWT Sherman kit, its quite eye catching when along side the basic model. I decided to pad out the Hull front with some Blu Tak to weight it down as i thought the Rocket launcher might unbalance the tank a bit, this worked perfectly. I’m thinking about scratch building a rocket or two to add to the launch tubes.
Very impressed with this kit, Domi has done a fantastic job of this. Again all parts nice and crisp no air bubbles. One of the support struts was a little warped, but this was easily rectified after placing briefly in near boiling water to soften it up a bit, then the arm/strut was gently reshaped. You’ll need a hack saw and a file to remove parts from sprue, but it really isn’t a lot of work and the parts are very easy to cut and file through, though be sure to wear a dust mask while doing this. The parts were then super glued in place before painting.
I have just ordered a couple of the new turrets from retrokits so that will be the next job on the work bench!
……..No, Not Game of Thrones……….World War Toon KV2 Russian Front, Winter!
Its first outing on the table proved to be combustable……….The lend lease Sherman lasted a bit longer!
A very nice model, though, looking forward to the T34’s when they arrive in new year to beef up the russian armoured unit.
Now Winter in the Ardennes……………………..
King Tiger with Ambush scheme Camouflage….not much use in the snow!
Just wanted to let you all know about Domi over at Retrokit who , apart from other things, makes Conversion kits for Meng model/Roqovan World war Toon tanks. I’m going to be using them for my after school club project. The kits themselves are neatly cast in resin, and are designed to fit, in this case, The M4 Sherman.
At the moment you have a choice of M4A3 Sherman Conversion and Rocket Launcher “Calliope” Sherman. Other releases are planned for January, and later in year, with a KV1 Turret, Sturmtiger, Tiger II Henschel Turret confirmed. If you want to keep up with news on these and other releases head over to the retrokit face book page
A lot of other Sherman conversions are planned, and one can only imagine things like JagdTigers, and several different versions based on the new Toon Panzer III model, like a StuG III that might also be on their way at some point…..either way I just can’t wait! I’m going to have to buy a whole lot more World War Toon Tanks just to keep up!
I have 4 weeks before clubs start again, so plenty of time to assemble both versions. I’m sure club members will be fairly interested in converting their kits, a lot of them have been busy buying additional models to add to the Sherman they get in the club….and no doubt santa has also been busy sourcing the new T34’s and Panzer III’s!
So over the next 4 weeks i will be updating my progress as I complete work on these 2 new kits, so watch for updates. but for today I’m going to do a little bit of prep work and remove the resin parts from their sprue, and tidy them up a bit, I’m also intending to have a bash at making some scratch built rockets for the launch tubes on the Calliope version!