I’ve had RetrokiT’s Sturmtiger conversion parts on my shopping list for some time, so added it to my letter to Santa!
It turned up this week, delayed slightly by a postal strike, but thats ok, I’ve had my hands pretty full with Star wars models to paint! I’ve been trying to build this inbetween waiting for washes to dry! The original Tiger donor chassis had been built about a year ago while I waited for the conversion kit to come out, so it was quite a quick and easy build.
The thing i really like about Retrokit models is the crisp detail and lack of bubbles in the resin. This went together really quickly with only minor modification to the original hull.
Now I’m waiting for the weekend in the hope of warmer weather so i can go out in garden and spray paint it! I think I’ll use a digital camo pattern again, and mark it up as a Hydra vehicle like my Kingtiger model. Updates as and when it is painted.
can’t wait to get this into battle either…will have to write some special rules for it!
I got a late Christmas present this week from Belgium, the box contained some HVSS suspension units for “Fury” Sherman and a Sturmtiger conversion kit…more on that later!
My little world war toons M4 Sherman “Fury” has had quite a history of make overs, it started out as a standard world war toons kit, then when RetrokiT started making sherman conversion parts i added the M4A3 hull a year later I’ve just added the HVSS suspension units to the kit, pretty pleased with results.
Will try and give this a run out in the next Tank battle we have at the school club.
Another huge battle, Shermans, KV2’s, T34’s against Panzer IIIs, Tigers, King Tigers
I finally managed to make my own set of Hydra Decals to go on my King Tiger Henschel Turret Conversion (Meng Workd War Toons and Retrokit)
Digital Camo stencils by the superb Anarchy Models
Not quite a ballistic missile, so I’m hoping the U.N. won’t use sanctions against me, but spent a few hours over weekend making some “Toon” m8 rockets for the Calliope tubes!
They have more in common with the rocket used on the Sturm tiger than an M8 and I didn’t bother with any fins. these are basically just to use as counters really so we can keep track of how many have been fired in the game, and also to fill up the empty launch tubes. I had some 10mm dowel cut offs which i cut down further to 2.5cms, then used some miliput to sculpt the warhead and added paint. Pretty basic but they do the job.
A side effect of the fully loaded launch tubes is that you need to add some blu tak to the hull to weigh it down…..and avoid any hills and uneven terrain on the battlefield……..perhaps it would be wise to glue down the Sherman onto its own base, which i may well do at some point.
I have also finished the Retrokit conversion kit For the Sherman Calliope Rocket launcher. This is sure to get an “oh wow” at after school club! This is a stand out upgrade for the standard WWT Sherman kit, its quite eye catching when along side the basic model. I decided to pad out the Hull front with some Blu Tak to weight it down as i thought the Rocket launcher might unbalance the tank a bit, this worked perfectly. I’m thinking about scratch building a rocket or two to add to the launch tubes.
Very impressed with this kit, Domi has done a fantastic job of this. Again all parts nice and crisp no air bubbles. One of the support struts was a little warped, but this was easily rectified after placing briefly in near boiling water to soften it up a bit, then the arm/strut was gently reshaped. You’ll need a hack saw and a file to remove parts from sprue, but it really isn’t a lot of work and the parts are very easy to cut and file through, though be sure to wear a dust mask while doing this. The parts were then super glued in place before painting.
I have just ordered a couple of the new turrets from retrokits so that will be the next job on the work bench!
Just before Christmas I received a package from Domi over at RetroKit it contained a couple of new conversion kits for the world war toon Sherman models. A little later than planned here is the Sherman M4A3 hull which i used to convert “Fury”. The movie version didn’t have the cast rounded hull, so thought i might make it a little more accurate……..fingers crossed for some HVSS suspension units to finish off the job;)
Now for a tiny review of the conversion kit.
Have to say the casting and detail is very crisp, no air bubbles present. Very accurate fit to the hull of the wwt tank. You will need to spend a little time removing the component parts from the resin sprue, which in this case is the old school kind of block, i used a hack saw and a file to do this, the resin is not hard and brittle like some, so it was not too difficult to do this. I then added all the detail parts for the hull from a WWT Sherman kit using super glue. i then primed the resin before painting. I have to say I’m very pleased with the result……….there are now even more conversion kits for the WWT range, so head over there and check them out.